1) Install Acronis True Image Home 2011, choose the default installation options.
2) Choose the ‘Trial’ option.
3) Start the Image Backup process by double clicking on the Acronis True Image Home desktop icon.
3) In the list of tasks click on the ‘Go to main screen’ option which will open the “Add backups’ window. Click on the ‘Disk and partition backup’ option.
4) Configure disk backup process: In the ‘What to backup’ list, verify that only the drive or partition that represents your old drive has a check mark, and is where Windows XP is currently installed, (typically C:). In the lower half of the window there is a list of options.
a) Exclusions: Skip this option. b) Destination: the default destination may not correctly be set to the ‘Backup’ partition (E:) you created on the new drive. You will need to change this as follows: Click on the ‘Destination’ pull down arrow and select E:\My Backups
c) Schedule: ‘Off’, no schedule required. d) Backup scheme: Click on the ‘Version Chain’ link and set the Backup scheme to: ‘Custom’ and Backup method to ‘Full. Click ‘OK’.
d) Backup name: Change the name to: MasterImage
5) Disk backup options: Located in the bottom left corner is a link to customize the backup options. Only the options you need to be changed will be listed below. a) Validation: place a checkmark in the ‘Validate backup when it is created’ box
b) Performance tab: set the compression level to “High” and click the ‘OK’ button.
6) The ‘Configure disk backup process’ screen should now look similar to that shown below.
7) Start the backup by clicking on the ‘Back up now’ button.
8) The backup will start and the Progress and Performance status will be displayed.
Completion times will vary based on the amount of data to be backed up and the performance of your computer. When the backup completes you should see the following status displayed.
9) Exit Acronis by clicking on the Red X located in the upper right corner. Your image backup of the old drive has now been created. Next we will restore that compress image backup file from the second partition on your new drive to the Windows partition (first partition) on the new drive.
How to successfully restore Windows XP to the new hard drive ----->