Can I still get the Windows 10 free upgrade April 17, 2020 Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10 ended in 2016, but if you know where to look it’s still available.
Four important things to do before you start the free upgrade: A) Create an image backup of the entire disk drive “including the GUID Partition Table (GPT) or Master Boot Record (MBR)” that your current version of Windows 7 or 8.1 is installed on. Should the update fail you can restore the image to your disk drive and try again. B) Disable any third party Anti-Virus software you may have installed! C) Remove any external USB drives and SD cards. D) Laptop users should not install the upgrade while running on battery power only, connect your laptop to an AC outlet !!!
1) Click on the “Download tool now” button to start the free upgrade.
2) Next “Run” the Media Creation Tool when the download completes.
3) Below are some of the screen shots that you can expect to see as the free upgrade proceeds to install.
4) Read and “Accept” the license terms.
5) Choose the “Upgrade this PC now” option and then click on the “Next” button. The download will start.
6) As shown below you will see what version of Windows 10 will be installed. If you have the Windows 7 Home version on your PC you will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
Be sure the “Keep personal files and apps” is selected if you want to keep what currently have installed Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
The PC will restart several times. A blue background with a message and percent complete will appear several times. If during one of the “Installing updates” messages it appears to be stuck at around 24% for a long long time don’t shut down the computer as it will eventually complete.
After the upgrade has completed verify that Windows 10 is activated and no product key is required Click on the Start icon, click on Settings > Update & Security > Activation. You should see “Windows 10 activated with a digital license”.
The digital license is associated with that specific PC (Desktop /Laptop / Etc.), which means you can perform a clean install of the same edition (Home / Pro) of Windows 10 anytime, and you won't need a product key, as activation is tied to your digital license.
Note that changing the motherboard after you have the free upgrade installed will invalidate your activation as the digital license is tied to the original motherboard. You can however add more memory or upgrade your graphics card without invalidating you digital license.