Only a few days away from the availability of the Windows 8.1 preview so here a short list of changes.
1) Probably the most often voiced about issue is the lack of a Start menu in Windows 8. Windows 8.1 does not include a Start menu, only an icon located where the start menu was in previous versions of Windows. Click on the icon an you get a quick and easy way to return to the “Start” / Tiles screen.
2) Boot straight to the desktop. This allows you to skip the Tiles / Modern UI screen altogether.
3) Modern UI customization. You will now be able to background color themes and tile sizes.
4) The Search charm now includes the ability to search the web.
5) Internet Explorer 11.
6) Better integration of Sky Drive allowing you to save files directly to Sky drive.
7) Split Windows 8 apps 50/50 on your display.
8) Other changes include the “Lock Screen” and improvements for mouse and keyboard users.
For IT Professionals Microsoft put together a whole article which you can read here.
Windows 8.1 Preview - Why you should not install the preview on a PC you depend on for everyday use
June 6th, 2013
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure:
As with any beta or preview there could be bugs. In addition when the final release becomes available those who have downloaded the preview will get the same Windows Update plus Windows Store notification. While their data and accounts will be preserved if and when they choose to install the free, final 8.1 release, all their apps must be reinstalled. As stated by Microsoft's Senior Product Marketing Manager; Michael Niehaus.