Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update fails error code 0x80070057 August 9th, 2016 By: J W Stuart
When you try to update Windows 10 to the anniversary edition using the Windows 10 Upgrade tool, it downloads, verifies OK then stops at 2% with an Error code of 0x80070057.
Two important things to do before you start the update: A) Create an image backup of your current version of Windows 10. Should the update fail you can restore the image to your disk drive and try again. B) Disable your Anti-Virus software!
How to install the update: 1) Go to Windows Update, by opening the start menu, click on ‘Settings’ / Updates & security or in the ‘Search box’ type: update' and open ‘Check for Updates’.
2) Now look down for 'Learn More' link and click on it, it should open a page on your default browser.
3) Next click on 'Get the Anniversary Update now'.
The File that is downloaded is named: Windows10Upgrade28084
4) Double click on this file Open it and make sure it starts downloading the upgrade file.
Note: You also have the option if you see the message “Windows10Upgrade28084.exe finished downloading.” located at the bottom of the display; you can click on the ‘Run’ button to start downloading the upgrade file. Click ‘Yes’ when prompted. Then click on the ‘Update Now’ option.
Note: Your window to disable the WIFI may be partially hidden by the Windows update process so move it to an accessible corner of the display be you perform step #5.
5) Next watch for ‘Downloading Windows 10 update’, which will be followed by 'Verifying Download'.
Make sure to turn off your Internet WIFI connection or disconnect your LAN cable when the download reaches 100% immediately.
Note: If you already had the 2% error and are reading this article, the update is already on your computer so it's going to just verify like a hash check to make sure the Windows 10 update files are intact.
6) Next it should start the upgrade but get stuck at the usual 2% (this may take few minutes to reach the 2% mark).
7) Now wait for about 2 minutes and re-enable your Internet/WIFI/LAN and the upgrade should continue and finally get beyond 2% in a short while (be patient).
8) After the update is ready, you will need to restart the computer, click on the ‘Restart now’ button.