Windows 10 May 2019 update how to get it now Revised May 22nd Don’t wait in what may be a long line and weeks or months for the May 2019 update to be installed on your computer. Here is how you can get it now.
Note: Microsoft has finally released the distribution of what would normally be the April 2019 Update on May 21st 2019. The information and screen shots listed below were posted in the article after successfully upgrading two computers.
Four important things to do before you start the update: A) Create an image backup of the entire disk drive “including the GUID Partition Table (GPT) or Master Boot Record (MBR)” that your current version of Windows 10 is installed on. Should the update fail you can restore the image to your disk drive and try again. B) Disable any third party Anti-Virus software you may have installed! C) Remove and external USB drives and SD cards. D) Laptop users should not install the upgrade while running on battery power only, connect your laptop to and AC outlet !!!
3) Click on the ‘Update now’ button as shown below.
4) You will have the option to ‘Save’ or ‘Save and run’. If you “Save” the file you can install the update at your convenience.
5) Next you will be prompted to “Update to the latest version of Windows 10. Click on the ‘Update Now’ button in the lower right corner.
6) A check to see if your PC is compatible is made and if it is you will see the following message as shown below.
7) Click ‘Next’ to continue with the upgrade process. The download will start.
8) After the download has completed the update process begins. This may take some time depending on the performance level of your PC. Note that Laptops usually take longer.
9) Next you will see the “Your update is ready” message. Click on the ‘Restart now’ button to continue.
10) You will be signed out and the PC will restart, at which point you should see “Working on updates” and percent complete. A second restart /reboot will take place with the Working on updates message. Once again another restart / reboot and the “Working on update” message is displayed, this one takes a while compared to the two previous reboots / restarts.
11) One final restart / reboot / and another lengthily (Appears to take a while to get past the 84% mark) working on updates process is displayed.
12) Next the lock screen is displayed, click and enter your password to continue with the last part of the update process (You should see several messages displayed).
13) Close the Edge browser and you will see the following “Thank you” message.
That’s it, you’re done. For verification of the version number, in the ‘Search’ box type: winver and tap the ‘Enter’ key. Your PC should now be at version 1903, (OS Build 1362.116).